Biography / Wiki
Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., difficult to figure out who he is! This is the real name of “The Greatest”, Muhammad Ali. He was an American former heavyweight champion boxer. He was the greatest heavyweight boxer of the 20th century.
His dedication and determination helped him win various championships and medals. He had defeated many wrestlers and boxers of that era. He always stood against issues of race, religion, and politics, which also made him a controversial figure during his career. Apart from boxing, he was inclined towards music and received two Grammy awards.
Height / Weight / Age
|Date Of Birth||17 January 1942|
|Age||74 years (At the time of Death)|
|Height||In Centimeters – 191 cm
In Feet and Inches – 6’3”
|Weight||In Kilograms – 107 kg
In Pounds – 236 lbs
|Shoe Size||13 (US)|
Education / Family
He was born on 17th January 1942, in Louisville, Kentucky. He attended Louisville Central High School, Louisville for his schooling. After school, he didn’t go to college for graduation because he wanted to start with boxing as a professional career.
Later, he got indulged in vigorous training in boxing and weightlifting. His boxing coach Joe E. Martin was the first one to direct him toward boxing. His father, Cassius Marcellus Clay Sr., And mother Odessa O’Grady Clay were always supportive of his decision of Ali.
He adopted the Islam religion in the year 1965 and changed his name to “Muhammad Ali”. Though he and his parents were American, they faced racial discrimination. Even after winning a gold medal at the Summer Olympics, he suffered from racial domination. Instead of getting depressed, Ali decided to fight back against all this discrimination. One of his daughters Laila is also a boxer.
|Real name||Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.|
|Birth Place||Louisville, Kentucky, US|
|Profession||American Professional Boxer|
|Date of death||3rd June 2016 (Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S)|
|School||Louisville Central High School, Louisville|
|Home Town||Louisville, Kentucky, U.S|
|Debut||Against Tunney Hunsaker On 29 October 1960 and won 6 rounds|
|Fathers Name||Cassius Marcellus Clay Sr.|
|Mothers Name||Odessa O’Grady Clay|
|Brother||Rahman Ali (Boxer)|
Career / Fashion And Style
In 1954, he made his amateur boxing debut against Ronnie O’Keefe. After vigorous training and hard work, he made his professional debut on 29th October 1960 against Tunney Hunsaker. In the same year, he won a gold medal in the Summer Olympics.
The turning point in his career was in 1964 when he won the world heavyweight championship against Sonny Liston. During his career, 3 times he was honored as “World Heavyweight Champion”.
In 1967, he was asked to join the U.S. army but he refused. Later he was arrested, all the boxing titles were taken and his boxing license was suspended. In 1971, he fought against this in U.S Supreme Court and his conviction was overturned. He took retirement from boxing in the year 1981 and decided to contribute his time and effort towards social work.
A film was filmed in the life of Ali, which was named “Ali”. Take a look of the trailer-
Girlfriends, Affairs, Wife and More
Veronica Porsche Ali
|Wives||Sonji Roi (1964-1966)
Belinda Boyd (1967-1976)
Veronica Porsche Ali (1977-1986)
Yolonda Williams (1986-2016)
|Children||Daughters – Laila Ali, Rasheda Ali, Hana Ali, Miya Ali, Khaliah Ali, Maryum Ali, Jamillah Ali
Sons – Asad Amin and Muhammad Ali Jr.
Here we are providing you the list of his favourite things.
|Favourite Boxer||Jack Johnson|
|Favourite Food||Macaroni with cheese, baked chicken and spinach|
Some Interesting Facts About Muhammad Ali
- In 1954, when his bike got stolen from Columbia Auditorium, he got inclined towards boxing.
- He started his practice by asking his friends to throw stones at him.
- In the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, he won the gold medal.
- After winning the medal, he suffered from racism and in anger, he threw his medal into the Ohio River.
- He won his first medal in weightlifting championship in 1964, against Sonny Liston by knockout.
- He was inspired by a spiritual and political leader, Malcolm X.
- In 1965, he was converted to Islam and changed his name to “Muhammad Ali”.
- He faced his first defeat against heavyweight champion Joe Frazier, in 1974.
- He saw a guy committing suicide and rushed to help him. The guy shared the reason for ending his life, Ali motivated him and showed him the right path.
- In 1990, Saddam Hossein seized 2000 foreigners, Ali went to Baghdad to influence Hossein, and as a result, he released 15 Americans.
- He had a complicated family life because he married 4 times in his life.
- He was against female boxing, still his 2nd daughter Laila Ali.
- He suffered from a fear of flying i.e, Aviophobia.
- His salary was $3-5 million/fight.
- His net worth is estimated to be $80 million approximately.
- His hobbies were workout and singing.
- At the age of 32, he suffered from Parkinson’s disease.
- He died on 3rd June 2016 in Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.