Biography / Wiki
From Khandwa to Australia, the life journey of Saroo has been exciting and thrilling. His life may look happening now but he had a dark and disturbing childhood. He was born on 22 May 1981 in Khandwa, India. Originally, he was named Sheru Munshi Khan after his adoption his name changed to Saroo Brierley.
He is an Indian-born Australian businessman and author. He accidentally got separated from his biological family. The story of his tough and dark childhood has been displayed through a book and movie as well.
Height / Weight / Age
|Date Of Birth||22 May 1981|
|Height||In Centimeters – 178 cm
In Feet and Inches – 5’10”
|Weight||In Kilograms – 75 kg
In Pounds – 165 lbs
|Shoe Size||Not Known|
Saroo Brierley has an estimated net worth of $97 million.
Saroo was born to Munshi and Fatima in poverty. After some time, his father abandoned his family and his mother had to work as a construction laborer. The family had no money for food and education. Saroo along with his siblings started begging for money and food.
He has a sister Shakila. He lost his biological brother in a train accident. From thereafter neither Guddu returned nor Saroo. He landed in Calcutta and was adopted by an Australian couple. His adoptive parents were John Brierley and Sue Brierley.
He also has an adoptive brother Mantosh. After landing in Australia he learned English and was provided with education. He attended Australian International Hotel School, Canberra, and completed his graduation in Hospitality and Business. He met his biological family after 25 years when he came to India.
|Real Name||Sheru Munshi Khan|
|Birth Place||Ganesh Talai, Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|College||Australian International Hotel School, Canberra|
|Home Town||Hobart, Tasmania, Australia|
|Fathers Name||Biological – Munshi
Adoptive – John Brierley (a businessperson)
|Mothers Name||Biological – Fatima (laborer)
Adoptive – Sue Brierley (businessperson)
|Brothers||Kalloo (Factory manager)
Mantosh (adoptive brother)
Career / Fashion And Style
After completing graduation, he started helping his parents with their business. He wrote his own autobiography “A Long Way Home” in 2013. The book is based upon his life journey elaborating on his journey from his childhood to reuniting with his biological family. His book was adapted into the movie ‘Lion’ in 2016 by the director Garth Davis. The part of Saroo was played by Dev Patel. Currently, he resides in Hobart.
Girlfriends, Affairs, Wife and More
|Marital Status||Not known|
Some Interesting Facts About Saroo Brierley
- He does consume alcohol.
- He was born in India but became an Australian businessman and author, who became popular after the movie ‘Lion’ was filmed on his real-life story.
- His childhood became disturbing when his biological father abandoned his family and married another woman.
- To support her family, his mother ‘Fatima’ used to work as a construction laborer but couldn’t make enough money to raise the family.
- Along with his brother, Saroo went from their hometown Khandwa to Burhanpur by train. When the train reached Burhanpur, Guddu told him to wait and assured him that he will come back. Saroo slept with the hope his brother will come back. When he woke up, he reached Kolkata which is 1500 km far from Burhanpur. His brother didn’t return because he died in a train accident.
- He lived in and around the railway station. He met a good guy who took him to the police station and reported him as a lost child. First, he was sent to the government center for abandoned children and then to the Indian Society for Sponsorship and Adoption. Late he was shifted to an orphanage after the days of investigation and research.
- In the orphanage he was given proper training about everything. The Australian couple adopted him. They also adopted one more Indian boy Mantosh and took both of them to Hobart with them.
- He learned to speak English and forgot Hindi completely.
- He always had little memories of his past life. He tried to find his family roots and started searching for his birthplace on Goggle Earth. In 2011, he found a station that is quite similar to the memories from his past life. He found his hometown by following the satellite images.
- After 25 years, he traveled to Khandwa and met his biological family in 2012.
- To recall his childhood experience, he also traveled on a train from Khandwa.
- His hobbies are traveling and writing.